Thursday, September 30, 2004

Questions, Downey and Rosenhaft

  1. Perhaps Greg would unpack his notion of "boundary" a little in class? He defines it as relative to subnetworks within an internetwork, but it seems to me there's more going on there: boundaries between network users and maintainers, boundaries between labor and the study thereof, boundaries between labor and management.
  2. In Rosenhaft's article, poor Mr. Dies, despite obvious competence his managers lacked, could not parlay that competence into, shall we say, a competency. Rosenhaft appears to attribute this to vestiges of the patronage system, but I'm not so sure -- it seems a tremendously modern situation to me. So I'm asking: why is the power relationship there so one-sided? Why are Dies's numbers trustworthy when it comes to actuarial analysis, but not when it comes to his own household's financial needs?
  3. Could we talk about the boundaries between "technical" and "professional" work (Downey p. 228, in re: computer programmers)? I'm sure there's a set of distinctions; I'm just highly unclear on what they are, which makes it hard for me to see how the situation of programmers violates them.

No comments: